Friday, February 15, 2008

Late concept

This was one of many Valentine's concepts I had. I was at work until
late in the evening though, so maybe next year I'll roll one of them
out and the city won't know what hit them.

In this one, I make a gazillion little flags, on toothpicks or
skewers. Each has one of my body parts sketched on it. They will be
stuck in the soil of plants in all the business spaces I encounter.
In this manner I scatter these bits and pieces of body across the
city, and any poor soul who has fallen to pieces might find a
replacement, a happy surprised they noticed while staring off into
space at their local cafe. This shoddy prototype says, "I won't be
needing this" on the back, so that our hapless lover will know it is
free for the taking.

This came to me while waiting on the toilet at Cafe Crouton, where there are a fair number of potted plants. There was big flag stuck in one plant. Little flags seem harmless and easy to deploy, but also make a bold claim, one of property or one of victory. It's graffiti without the destructive side of it.

No comments: