The Boredoms concert at Terminal 5 last night was the best thing I've been to in a long while.
The beginning was like some kind of high-voltage punk Butoh. The end was like some kind of amp'd Taiko. And then all the stuff in the middle just left my speechless.
The stage was in the middle of the pit, so you could be on all sides. There were three drum kits facing the center, and Yamataka Eye was playing an instrument with no name. It was 8 guitar necks attached to a single fused body. The strings were beat with various sticks, of course. The fifth player was the pro knob-twiddler and heroic guitar string changer. Anyway, the layout was really nice. I wish all concerts were like that. So much friendlier.
Why do I like all this noise? I don't know. But, I guess aside from liking rhythm, I think it's the visceral expressiveness of it. There wasn't a single word or even melody, but I could have listened to it all day. Or, maybe that's why I could have listened to it all day.
The music's not trying to say something, to convince you of something romantic, cute, funny, or rebellious. The music just is. It flows through you in an abstract way. It flows.
Anyway, I didn't bring my camera like a dummy, and I'm too lazy to try to draw a picture now, after working all day. But you can see kind of what the show looked like from this YouTube clip of a different show.
No comments:
Post a Comment