• Gifts are immaterial. That is, even when they are solid and wrapped, the gift is not the object. We all know this. I received a singular gift for turning 35. It was the loaning of a book, "Camera Lucida," by Barthes. I have only just opened it. I am fed.
• I have a lot to say about my relationship to photos and my frustration with them too, but maybe some other time... On the subway home from the airport, with a mysterious splitting headache clouding my thoughts, this is all I pondered:
• When we pose we have a feeling of how we would like to be represented. Maybe we didn't pose, but when we review the proofs, maybe we say, "Aha! this one is going on Facebook!" It is not us; it's not an idealization of us either. It's just represents someone else, simpler than a human, that maybe we'd rather be.
• But I got to wondering about the other objects. How do the shipping cranes want to be represented? For what static image do they yearn? Straightforward or abstracted? Which one would they like most? Or does each crane have a different opinion? You can never please everyone at once, after all.



No comments:
Post a Comment