"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by..." weakness. We persisted in our propensities until what once made us unique now makes us intolerable. Bottled up by distraction and insecurity, we fermented only vinegar.
... In the documentary on the making of "Fitzcaraldo" that I watched last night, Herzog, thigh deep in Amazonian mud and his own production quagmire, said that being a filmmaker was no way to live a life, that he really just wanted to "sit in an easy chair with a cup of tea."
We are sitting in that easy chair. Even as I create by blogging, this is quite literally a well-padded chair my ass is on and there is indeed a cup of tea on the table here. It's a blog. It's not a challenge and it's not a dream I'm pursuing. These best minds are sitting in easy chairs, each of his or her own design. I sit in the easy chair and I am not Werner Herzog.
I can't say anything more than this. The disappointment runs too deep. I touch those cold waters with my toes and I feel nothing but primal fear. It's down there, fine. Let's play on the shore.
No comments:
Post a Comment