Monday, April 11, 2005

Singapore:
WEEK 1:

Night 1: got in to Singapore after midnite, too late to take advantage of the easy MRT transportion into the city. I'm not a big New York City fan, but I why is NYC the only place that seems to accept that subways should run 24 hours a day? Arrived by taxi at my hotel, where I find my reservation is for May 4th rather than April 5th. That mistake obviously comes from the weirdo way that we write the date in the US. 4/5/2005 versus 5/4/2005. The rest of the world uses the logic oriented way with a progression from the smallest to largest unit. Ours, I assume, is based on the reading style "April 5th, 2005." Of course, one can just as easily and correctly say "the 5th of April, 2005." Anyway, no room for me, except the crappy one that they were trying not to let anyone sleep in. It smelled so bad of insecticide I could barely sleep. Oh well, sleep is sleep.
Day 1: They put my in a totally nice room the next morning on the 6th floor. :) Got lost trying to find NUS. Got lost again on campus trying to find the med school, then the dorm.
Day 2; Moved into swanky room for visitors at the dorm. Totally separate from all the other students. No new friends in my future.
Picture of/from my room:






Day 3: Met up with Teresa's cousin Tracy, and her friend Kelly. We went to Chinatown, a museum of the Chinese in Singapore and a tasty hawker center. Much better hawker center eating than when i went the day before because I had some guideance on what to eat.
Day 4: Went to East Coast Park... painfully difficult to get there. But, mood improved dramatically when I got to bicycle up and down the park. Watched windsurfers, but did not go in myself. too lazy. Tracy and Kelly take me to see an HK film.
EAST COAST PARK:


Day 5: West Coast Park and Clementi Woods exploration. More painfully sweaty misadventures getting lost looking for a mall in my ongoing futile effort to buy an answering machine. Answering machines just don't exist in Singapore. This product just never caught on. Mobile phones don't explain it b/c it's still prevalent in the US despite mobiles. Tracy suggested that it's because most households have somebody at home who will answer the phone (e.g. grannie).
Day 6: Orchard Street again... not sure why i'm back. Want to go to the zoo and night safari, but don't really want to go alone.

No comments: