Monday, September 28, 2009

song #1

deep in the forgetting
all the nights we lost
to getting ready

for the intentions
of the child we lost
trying to keep things steady

the whitest of hairs
i see they grow like grass
through graveyard snow

the plaques on the wall
must be the tombstones
to what I really know

silenced by city sounds
only my ringing ears
could have woke the sleeper

so I packed all of nothing
headed West headed home
Ran before I fell deeper

----------------
and now I'm staring at the bay
and the swells of water
echo every word I say

and now I'm staring at the sea
and crashing of the waves
could it be I'm free?
----------------

you are the bird i knew
ten years gone
and silver-feathered

you are the ship that sailed
for the Farallons
in restless weather

i'll sing this song of old
for forty years
if you'll hear

i'll sing this song of old
fill twilight hours
give me your ear

deep in regretting time
i could have had
opened my eyes

hid in the foggy streets
an orchid grows
that never dies

----------------
so now I'm staring at the bay
and the swells of water
echo every word I say

so now I'm staring at the sea
and crashing of the waves
has set me free
----------------

No comments: