Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Week 4: WEEKEND
Friday: Wow, unbelievable. The last day of medical school. Went in around 10am, left around 2pm. Saw no patients, just worked on the data collection. Not a very exciting way to go out, but it's over. Went out for lunch with the other medical student and later saw "Divergence" at Singapore Plaza. It was good, as expected given the cast... Not much else to report.
http://www.divergence.com.hk 

Saturday: Went to Harborpoint for coffee and breakfast at, yes, of all places, McDonald's. I would like to make the argument that McD's is a lot better in Singapore, which is kind of true given the Australian beef and some well designed McCafes. But, the Harborpoint one is just your basic McD's store with terrible coffee. I've been eating a lot of deep fried things in S'pore, this time Chicken Nuggets and Fish McDippers, plus fries. I worry about the cholesterol levels of Singaporeans. Anyway, from Harborpoint I was able to see more of what Sentosa looked like, but again I forgot my camera. Wanted to go on the tram real bad, but my friend was afraid of heights (or looking like a tourist, not sure which). Later, met up with Tracy and her friends who I've mostly met by now for a picnic in the botanical gardens. Although we didn't explore the park very much, the picnic was awesome. So much food, of course. We played a rather silly cardgame, betting with edamame. It got kind of dark on us while we were sitting there, so Tracy made herself into a lamp.


After the park, we went to the largest Karaoke place I have ever seen. It had as many as 70 private rooms! The songs are on computer there, which is Plus/Minus. It's easier to find the song you are looking for, but harder to browse than the book. Plus, without the books, only one person can browse the songlist at a time. Plus, they sing with the vocals still in for a lot of the songs, so it's more like singing in the car than true karaoke.


Sunday: My last day in S'pore. Was hoping to go windsurfing or kayaking, but it was so hot my friends wouldn't go for it. Also, got up too late to go all the way to JB (Malyasia). So, just wandered around shopping, as usual. But had fun. Met up with Tracy, exchanged gifts, shopped for CDs and returned the phone. Saw a pretty ridiculous Japanese horror movie called "Infection." Not recommended. :P

Monday:
4am
Taxi x 45 minutes
2 hours at SIN
Six hour flight to Tokyo
1.5 hours at NRT
9 hour flight to California
2 hours at SFO
5.5 hour flight to New Jersey
1 hour to get luggage at EWR
15 minute wait for train
30 minute train to New York Penn Station
10 minute wait for A train
30 minute ride to Washington Heights
15 minute walk to Apt 12-C
9:30pm
TOTAL: 29.5 hours of travel
ouch.... I'm not doing that again for at least another week.

No comments: